Amazon Prime Day 2018 was another successful event, keeping the mid-year sale hot on the consumer calendar. Whilst the site suffered some hiccups over in the US, the UK event saw more visits, more transactions and higher conversions compared to 2017.
Here are Hitwise’s top stats on Prime Day so far…
1. Amazon received over 89 million visits to its site on Prime Day (16/17 July), up 10.3% compared to last year. The first day also saw an extra 10 million visits compared to Prime Day 2017, as traction continues to grow for the event year-on-year.
2. Amazon achieved a massive 654,000 more transactions – up 10.4% – this year compared to last, taking the total number of transactions to 6.94 million for Prime Day 2018. The conversion rate was also slightly up this year, with 7.78% of visitors being taken to a purchase confirmation page after browsing the site.
3. The Amazon Fire TV Stick and Echo Dot stole the show. The two Amazon products were the top purchases during Prime Day, with conversion rates of 18% and 11% respectively, double what they were the week before Prime Day.
4. 2018 FIFA World Cup topped the searches on Amazon during Prime Day as the football fever still hadn’t disappeared. With the sunshine in the UK, “Fan” was the third most searched term, as consumers looked for an escape from the heat.
5. Compared to the previous week, Amazon saw a rise of 27% in online retail share over Prime Day. Conversely, eBay saw a drop of 7% over this equivalent period. But not all online retailers had a bad day – Curry’s enjoyed a 22% rise week-on-week, thanks to their counter-campaigns and deals.
Want to find out more about Prime Day and the impact of Amazon on the wider retail industry? Sign up for our webinar on the 31st of July where we unlock the “Retailer Black Box”, or get in touch for more information.
* YoY = Prime Day 2017 (10-11 July) was six calendar days earlier than Prime Day 2018 (16-17 July). YoY dates are lined up by the number of days leading up to Prime Day.